Google began to work in the phone business by creating its own open-source Android OP that many other manufacturers can build their devices around. Many of them also did that, from LG to Nokia, Samsung to Motorola, BlackBerry, and many other devices.
And back in 2016, Google started making robust hardware around its Android operating system, most importantly, the Pixel smartphone.
Google continues to launch excellent, compelling new Pixel phones. Along with every single launch comes an improved battery life, a slicker interface, new exciting features, a better camera, and many more. Here is the compilation of all the Google smartphones in order of release date.
All Google Phones in Order of Release
Google Pixel and Pixel XL
Google Pixel and Pixel XL were launched back in 2016. Both of these models aimed to focus on a high-end camera. They were also ranked high on the trusted DxOMarkMobile test. And according to Google, it was eventually usurped by a device from HTC. Among one the best-selling features of this device over the others, along with its stellar camera, was the phone’s offer of unlimited storage in Google Photos. That is one of the most brilliant sources of cloud storage.
Both of these phones are dust and water resistance. And came in black, silver, or a limited-edition blue finish.
Specifications of Google Pixel and Pixel XL
- The Google Pixel has a 5” AMOLED screen
- The Google Pixel has a display of 5.0-inch, Full HD+
- The Google Pixel has a battery of 2,770mAh
- The Google Pixel XL has a 5.5” AMOLED screen
- The Google Pixel XL has a display of 5.5-inch, QHD+
- The Google Pixel XL has a battery of 3,450 mAh
Google Pixel 2 and 2 XL
Google Pixel 2 and XL were released just one year later in 2017. The former phone has a 5” screen while the latter is a 6” P-OLED screen. And runs on Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processors.
Both of the Google phones support fast charging and are dust and water-resistant. They operate on Android 8.0 Oreo and are upgradeable to Android 11. And are available in traditional color options, including white, black, or blue for Pixel 2 and white or black for 2 XL.
Specifications of Google Pixel 2 and 2 XL
- Both of them have an 8MP front camera and a 12.2MP rear camera
- Both of them have a RAM of 4GB and storage of 64/128GB
- The Pixel 2 has a 2,700mAh battery
- The Pixel 2 has a display of 5.0-inch, full HD+
- The Pixel 2 XL has a display of 6.0-inch, full QHD+
- The Pixel 2 XL has a 3,520mAh battery
Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL
Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL were launched back in 2018. The names were kept by Google while keeping its nomenclature conventions. However, great improvements were seen in these models when compared to the earlier 2016 and 2017 Google Pixel phones.
The cameras of these phones remained the same, but Google just added a second front camera having an 8MP sensor. The batteries of these phones were similar, but these models were also compatible with wireless charging.
Specifications of Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL
- Higher resolution OLED screens at 5.5” and 6.3.”
- Powerful Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor
- Water and dust-resistant aluminum design
Google Pixel 3a and Pixel 3a XL
Google Pixel 3a and Pixel 3a XL came in the Spring of 2019. Google introduced these two amazing devices, which were nothing but just the budget versions of the previous two phones (Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL) for people who don’t wish to spend a lot on phones and could do that with a pared-down feature set.
However, these phones (Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL) are now discontinued. Each of the phones also employed a polycarbonate in place of an aluminum body. And the colors in which these phones were available were white, black, and purple-ish.
Specifications Google Pixel 3a and Pixel 3a XL
- Decent resolution OLED screens at 5.6” and 6.”
- Powerful Qualcomm Snapdragon 670 processor
- The single front camera of 8MP and rear camera of 12.2MP
- Water and dust-resistant aluminum design
Google Pixel 4a and Pixel 4a 5G
Google Pixel 4a and Pixel 4a 5G were introduced in the summer of 2020 after the release of Google Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL in October 2019. But now Google Pixel 4 and Pixel 4XL are discontinued. And Google Pixel 4a and Pixel 4a 5G was released with the idea of serving as budget versions of Google Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL. The 4a 5G comes pre-loaded with the last operating system, while 4a is upgradeable to Android 11.
With just a 128GB storage version, they include an 8MP front camera and a 12.2MP rear camera. The 4a 5G also added a 16MP ultra-wide sensor that makes the phone ideal for taking amazing group and scenic shots.
By polycarbonate versus the aluminum body, price savings are also made possible. They come in limited-edition blue or white for 4a and white or black for 4a 5G; the Pixel 5 was regarded as the best Pixel phone in 2020.
Specifications of Google Pixel 4a and Pixel 4a 5G
- Google Pixel 4a comes with 5.8” OLED screens
- Pixel 4a 5G comes with a 6.2” OLED screen
- Google Pixel 4a comes with Qualcomm Snapdragon 730G processor
- Google Pixel 4a 5G comes with Qualcomm Snapdragon 765G processor
Google Pixel 6 and 6 Pro
The Google Pixel 6 and 6 Pro came in 2021 after Google Pixel 5(2020). The Google Pixel 6 and 6 Pro are the latest phones we call the “best Pixel Phones there has ever been”.
Features that make Google Pixel 6 and Google Pixel 6 Pro stand out from the rest are its- efficient and ultra-fast Google Tensor custom chip, Titan M2 security chip, Ultra-wide lens on the back, and fluent Live Translate.
Both (Google Pixel 6 and 6 Pro) have ultra-durable Gorilla Glass that is more protective and resistant to scratches. They also have an IP68 rating for dust and water resistance. Along with the fast-charging support (50% battery is charged in just half an hour) and all-day adaptive batteries serve as the tip of the iceberg regarding the great new features in these devices.
Specifications of Google Pixel 6 and 6 Pro
- Google Pixel 6 has a dual rear camera with 50MP wide and 12MP ultra-wide with 8MP front cameras.
- Google Pixel 6 Pro has a third 40MP telephote lens while upping its front camera to 11.1MP.
- Google Pixel 6 comes with 8GB RAM and 256GB storage
- Google Pixel 6 Pro boasts 12GB RAM and has 256 or 512GB of storage
- The screen size of the Google Pixel 6 is 6.4,” and that of the Google Pixel 6 Pro is 7.7”, respectively.
Over to you: List of Google Phones in Order of Release
We have discussed above all the phones that Google released from 2016 to 2021. And Google will keep releasing and adding another phone in the series.
For now, Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro are expected to be the next released by Google in October 2022 as Google hosted a “Made by Google” event on 6th October 2022, and showed the new Pixel 7 alongside all the other new Google devices.
That’s our look at the phones that Google has made to date. I hope you have liked this article and it helped you choose the right Google Phone for yourself.